Homicide investigation launched as NT Police suspend search for missing Alice Springs woman Angie Fuller

Police are treating the disappearance of 30-year-old Alice Springs woman Angie Fuller as a homicide, after earlier suspending the search for her in bushland north of Alice Springs.

Ms Fuller, a mother of two, was last seen on Monday January 9, along the Tanami Road 15 kilometres west of the Stuart Highway turn off. 

At a press conference in Alice Springs this afternoon, Assistant Commissioner Michael White said evidence suggested Ms Fuller had disappeared because of “third-party intervention”.

“I’ve declared it a serious investigation and as a result we are investigating it, and treating it, as a homicide,” he said.

“There are some parties who are persons of interest, who were involved prior to the last sighting of Angie.”

Police establishing a make-shift office in the desert.
Police say they searched bushland for 15 days before suspending the effort on Tuesday.(ABC News: Charmayne Allison)

Assistant Commissioner White said the last confirmed sighting of Ms Fuller was at a truck stop north of Alice Springs at 6.40pm.

He said police believe she was involved in “a vehicle incident” several hours later but said that sighting had not been confirmed by police.

“There [were] two vehicles involved and there was some sort of dispute, and as a result one of the cars was run off the road,” Assistant Commissioner White said.

“We’ve spoken to all the parties we have seen, and that is the point we believe Angie became separated from everyone else.”

A road sign signalling the turn off to the Tanami Road, with Yuendumu and Halls Creek signposted
Authorities say Ms Fuller was last seen at a truck stop north of Alice Springs.(ABC News: Xavier Martin)

He said that included a man who posted videos online claiming to be Ms Fuller’s boyfriend, who he confirmed was “one of” investigators’ persons of interest.

Before the search was suspended crews searched over 400 square kilometres of remote bushland looking for Ms Fuller.

Corflute signs urging people to report any sightings of Ms Fuller will be placed around Alice Springs. 

Mother-of-two’s whereabouts unknown

In the days after Ms Fuller disappearance, police said they undertook searches on foot and used all-terrain vehicles, drones and helicopters in the search.

They said they were hopeful of finding the mother-of-two alive after recent rains in the area replenished nearby groundwater supplies.

A highway cutting through an unusually green expanse of Central Australia.
Ms Fuller was last seen along on the remote Tanami Road, which connects central Australia with WA.(ABC News: Xavier Martin)

Assistant Commissioner White last Friday said police were investigating an alleged “incident” involving two vehicles, including Ms Fuller’s red Corolla. 

He also revealed that authorities were running a criminal investigation into her disappearance in parallel with the search and rescue effort.

Ms Fuller’s father, Tony Fuller, spoke to the ABC last Tuesday, saying her disappearance was out of character and expressing a fear her chances of survival were dwindling as time passed.

Leave a Comment